9) Carroll-Boyd School

9) In addition to spiritual growth of its members, St. Mark’s also operated a parish school that provided Black children the opportunity for an education. Rev. Joseph W. Carroll’s wife, Mary B. Carroll, served as the first teacher at St.
Mark’s Parish School. Due to the number of students exceeding the school’s capacity, a new school was constructed during the period between 1926 and 1927 with plans and funds from the Julius Rosenwald Fund and contributions from the community and the county. The school was named for Mary B. Carroll and Nannie V. Boyd. St. Mark’s operated the school until it came under the supervision of the Mecklenburg County School System. The parish school building no longer stands; Carroll-Boyd School is just east of St. Mark’s Church.

%d bloggers like this: